Facial Feminization Surgery
Whether these procedures are being obtained as part of transgender surgery or for aesthetic reasons, the Beverly Hills Physicians team includes some of the finest plastic surgeons in the Greater Los Angeles area. We are here to offer our patients the highest quality of care and the best outcomes possible while employing a sensitive and caring approach to treatment.
Benefits of Facial Feminizing Surgery
While many transgender women undergo FFS, one or more procedures can also be utilized by cisgender women interested in highlighting their more feminine features or removing those that may be considered more masculine. Whoever is obtaining it, FFS allows patients to achieve a facial appearance that more accurately reflects their vision of themselves. Patients typically report being more at ease and confident following a procedure.
Am I a Good Candidate?
Candidates for facial feminization surgery should be in good health and have realistic expectations about the results the procedure can achieve for them. They must also be at least 18-years-old. If the procedure is intended as sex reassignment surgery, patients will need to meet the standards set by the American Society of Plastic Surgery. These include a medical diagnosis of gender dysphoria and having lived for at least one year as a woman.
Procedures Included in Facial Feminization Surgery
- Hairline Alterations: In hairline alterations, peaks are removed and the hairline is rounded and moved forward. A transplant can also be used to counteract receding hair or balding.
- Brow Lift: A brow lift helps patients achieve a more elevated brow appearance, which is more common among feminine faces.
- Forehead Contouring: Prominence of the brow bone is reduced and the forehead is made to be more rounded.
- Chin Modification: Also referred to as genioplasty, this surgery modifies the chin, either by reducing protrusions or augmentation via a chin implant.
- Jaw Surgery: Jaw surgery smooths the jaw bone and creates a narrower appearance.
- Cheek Augmentation: Fat grafting or cheek implants are used to achieve the feminine appearance of high cheekbones.
- Lip Lift: Male faces tend to have longer upper lips. By lifting the lip, this plastic surgery creates a shorter distance to the bottom of the nose; the result is a look that is more commonly associated with female faces.
- Tracheal Shave: This procedure reduces the appearance of the Adam’s apple.
The pace of an FFS patient’s recovery, as well as the adjustments that need to be made, will depend on the procedures completed. Generally speaking, patients can expect to wear elastic bandages to reduce swelling. Temporary tubes that drain excess fluids immediately following the surgery may also be required.
As bruising and swelling decrease in subsequent weeks and months, the final results of the procedure will begin to appear.