Congratulations! You brought a child into the world and are now a mother, one of the greatest leaders this world will ever know. Unfortunately, the best gift on earth comes with some undesirable sacrifices – namely, the changes your body endures during and after pregnancy. Your body most likely does not look the same as it did before you became pregnant, and usually your breasts and stomach bear the most brunt. Women all over the world are concerned with how their body looks post child-birth and breast feeding. If you are one of the ladies who are having trouble getting back into your original form with diet and exercise alone, the “mommy makeover” could be a great option to help you feel sexy again, allowing you to take on your role as a mother with confidence in all aspects of yourself.
What is a Mommy Makeover? When a women has a child, her breasts often begin to sag, skin sags around the abdomen, stretch marks appear under the navel, and extra fatty deposits that are hard to get rid of appear around the waist, hips, and thighs. All of these can be reversed with a “mommy makeover” surgical package. There are several common procedures that are combined into one makeover package and generally performed in a single day.
Popular Procedures in a Mommy Makeover
- Breast Augmentation – Many women will experience somewhat deflated breasts that have lost their original form and volume. Breast augmentation using saline or silicone implants can bring back and improve upon the breast shape and volume. This is the most common and easiest surgery in a mommy makeover because of the small incision and fast recovery time.
- Breast Lift – Sometimes the breasts will sag more than they did before pregnancy and breastfeeding, and only a slight lift is necessary to bring them back up and give them a more youthful contour. Often the main reason for a breast lift is because the nipples have begun pointing downwards and need to be repositioned. It is very common for a mommy makeover to combine both a breast lift and augmentation to get the best possible results.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) – The central procedure of a mommy makeover is the tummy tuck that is used to remove the stretched out skin around the abdomen, loose skin, and stretch marks. The tummy tuck will tighten everything up, remove scarring, and make your stomach look as good as or better than pre-pregnancy.
- Liposuction – The tummy tuck is combined with liposuction to remove the additional fatty pockets that were created during pregnancy. This can give your body the feminine shape and thinner appearance that you likely had before pregnancy. The newly narrowed waist will compliment and accentuate your fuller breasts, completing a successful mommy makeover.
Is it right for me? No matter what you think about a mommy makeover, you can go in for a free consultation with a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon and be advised on what is appropriate for you and if you are a good candidate for the procedures. If you are thinking of a mommy makeover, it is probably because your post-pregnancy body is not what you would like, lowering your self-confidence. If so, and you are also healthy, you are likely a good candidate. You need to be realistic as to what to expect and your surgeon will be able to advise you on what is possible and what would work well for you.
- Improved Self-Image: The most important benefit of a mommy makeover is an improved self-image. Wear the clothes and bikini that you had before your pregnancy and show off that sculpted body with your head held high. It will dramatically help you feel great in your own skin, which has a positive effect on all the other areas in your life.
- Recovery Time: A mommy makeover tries to complete all the procedures in one day using the most advanced technology to reduce total recovery time. You’re going to be busy, after all!
- Better Skin: The tummy tuck and breast lift especially will improve your skin’s feel and appearance, making it tight and soft again.
- Customizable: Every mommy makeover is different because they are customized for each individual mommy. You will have multiple consultations to figure out what is the perfect combination of procedures to bring your body back to pre-mommy shape.
Risks – While few decades ago the mommy makeover procedures had several risks involved, the new technology and experts in the field of plastic surgery have almost completely removed the risks of a mommy makeover. As with any surgery though, there are at least small risks. That’s why it’s important to communicate with your surgeon and be completely informed about your procedures, and the steps to take during recovery.