Browlift or Forehead Lift
Brow and forehead lift is advised for women and men, whose eyebrows started to drop, creating a sad look. There are 2 reasons for low brow position: age and genetics. If you have inherited low eyebrows you can seek forehead lift in your 20s or 30s. Brow and forehead lift is performed under general anaesthetic and the surgery takes 60–90 minutes.
Types of Brow and Forehead Lift
- The Endoscopic Brow Lift – the newest technique available. Plastic surgeon uses an endoscope – special surgical equipment; a tiny television probe. Advantage of this technique is that no scalp tissue is removed; corrugator muscles only partially. Plastic surgeon places only 4 small incisions within the hairline. Disadvantage is that is might raise your hairline by about one-half inch. This technique is the most common technique. All our Prague plastic surgeons are trained to use the endoscopic equipment.
- The Coronal Brow Lift – the traditional approach. Plastic surgeon makes an incision across the top of the head from ear to ear. With this technique plastic surgeon removes corrugator muscles (muscles that cause frowning) and excess scalp. Disadvantage of this technique is that the scar is placed across the scalp and is longer than the one after the endoscopic brow lift. There are also more problems with prolonged numbness of the scalp.
Forehead and brow lift is a surgical procedure. Sometimes nonsurgical rejuvenation treatments may help delay the time for with a brow lift is appropriate. However, nonsurgical techniques will not achieve the same results.
- Botox injection – wrinkles outside of your eyes, also called crow’s feet will not be improved by a forehead and brow lift. Crow’s feet are dynamic wrinkles de to repetitive facial expression. With Botox injection plastic surgeon or dermatologist can weaken the responsible muscles and eliminate or improve these wrinkles.
- Laser resurfacing – helps you to maximize wrinkle reduction. It can be combined with the forehead and brow lift. Our Prague plastic surgeons use CO2 laser. Laser resurfacing treats layers of damaged skin and smoothes fine wrinkles.
- Upper Eyelid cosmetic surgery – if you have excess upper eyelid skin or eyelid puffiness this will not be affected by a forehead lift. You might be considering upper eyelid cosmetic surgery.
If you are considering a Brow and Forehead Lift …
As people age, their sagging forehead positions eyebrows too low and contributes to saggy upper eyelids. Effects of gravity, exposure to the sun and the stresses of daily life can be seen in their faces. What it can do is „set back the clock“ improving the most visible signs of aging by raising the forehead skin to a more normal position.
A forehead lift will improve brow position, lateral hoods, scowl lines, and horizontal forehead wrinkles. It partially also removes the muscles that cause frowning. This way it reduces the client’s ability to frown. A brow and forehead lift can be done alone, or in conjunction with other procedures such as a neck lift, face lift, under chin liposuction, an eyelid surgery, breast surgery or body reshaping.
The best candidates for a Brow and Forehead Lift
The best candidate for a brow and forehead lift is a man or woman whose eyebrows and forehead have begun to droop, but whose skin still has some elasticity and whose bone structure is strong and well-defined. A brow and forehead lift can make you look younger and fresher, and it may enhance your self-confidence in the process. But it can’t give you a totally different look, nor can it restore the health and vitality of your youth. Before you decide to have cosmetic surgery, think carefully about your expectations and discuss them with plastic surgeon.
Preparation for Brow and Forehead lift
You should come to the operation without make-up and with washed hair. Pharmaceuticals containing acetylsalicylic acid (Acylpirin, Aspirin, and Anopyrin etc.) should not be used for 3 weeks before the surgery, as they decrease clotting time of blood.
In case you are a smoker you are advised to stop smoking or at least to cut down on cigarettes. Smoking slows down recovery process and it can also increase a risk or complications. Smoking significantly reduces your body’s superficial circulation and vascularity. This means difficulty in bringing much needed oxygen to your tissues for proper healing.
This operation is performed in an operating theatre under general (intravenous) anaesthesia. The surgery takes 60–90 minutes. Most frequent technique is endoscopic brow and forehead lift when there are 4 incisions 2 centimetres long placed behind the hairline – on the forehead and temples. In this way, any scarring will be invisible, as it will be “hidden” within the hair.
After making the incisions the plastic surgeon lifts and separates the fat and skin from the underlying muscles. Next the plastic surgeon partially excises the corrugator muscles and pushes the entire scalp to the desired position.
The best result is achieved when brows are elevated to a “natural” level.
During the first few days after the operation, it is necessary to sleep strictly on the back so as to prevent swelling on one side or, as the case may be, larger post-operational bruises. Your hair can be washed gently 5 days after the operation. Contact lenses may be worn in 1 week. The plastic surgeon uses classical stitches, which need to be removed in 7–8 days after the surgery.
The speed of the healing is individual. Swellings and bruises clear up over 10–14 days. After the operation places with decreased sensitivity can temporarily occur on the skin.
Hair should not be too short. After a few days, the bandages are removed, and after two weeks you can go back to their everyday activities. You should avoid prolonged exposure to the sun for at least 2 months after treatment. Final result is seen in 2–4 weeks.
How will I feel after the surgery?
You will probably feel tired, sleepy and suffer from pain especially in 1–3 days after the surgery. You will be given some painkillers and tablets for reducing the swelling. The surgeon will also prescribe antibiotics as a prevention of any potential infection.
To know more about Browlift or Forehead Liftfrom the best plastic and cosmetic surgeons in Los Angeles visit our website www.beverlyhillsphysicians.com